Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup with shadow copy

Status
Not open for further replies.

SBarrie

Technical User
Apr 15, 2002
GB
We are using the Windows 2003 Server backup program to run scheduled backups which are run via a batch file. These backups are failing regularly. I believe this is due to a problem with the backup job trying to use shadow copy, because when it works there are entries in the event log showing the volume shadow copy service starting before the backup and ending after it has completed. These events do not appear when the backup does not run.

There seems to be some reason why shadow copy fails sometimes. I have tried preventing the backup job from using shadow copy by adding the command line switch "/SNAP:eek:ff" to the batch file. However the backup log reports still show it using shadow copy.

If shadow copy is not going to work reliably how do I prevent the backup from using it? Alternatively how do I get shadow copy to work reliably?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back