Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup with barcode reader

Status
Not open for further replies.

digitallyskilled

IS-IT--Management
Sep 23, 2004
US
I have just spent 2 days on the phone with symantec trying to get backups to work.

We have the Exabyte VXA Autoloader that has the built in barcode scanner. first off we could not get the backups to run with out moving the tapes to a new media set. it kept saying to put in overwriteable media. I moved it to a new media set and it worked. but now it inventories all 10 tapes before coming back to the first one and writing to that. isnt the barcode reader suppose to eliminate all the inventorying because it scans them instead? The tech from symantec had me uncheck the use of barcode rules. I tried checking it again once we figured that moving the tapes to the media set works but the job will fail if the barcode rules are enabled. This is my first experience with autoloaders so I dont know if it is supposed to be checked or how to configure it.

For what its worth my backups also fail with a Dell autoloader if barcode rules are enabled.

I'd also make sure you're on the latest patch level. After loading SP2 symantec support didn't tell me there are issues with it (like failing backups ;-) that the hotfixes resolved for me.

And thirdly BE just seems to love an inventory. Since this can run during the day - I'd just schedule one.

Good luck :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back