Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

backup volume pools and tapes 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

july75

Technical User
Dec 21, 2001
US
I am planning to create separate pools for backup each day like Mondaypool...., Now I am not very familiar with pools volumes etc, what I want to know is:
Does one volume equal 1 tape, like when I backup into one volume will to go to one single tape or into multiple tapes.
Does the tape have label same as the volume or is it same as the Barcode?
Once a tape is full you can unmount and store it offsite right??

Thanx a lot in advance.

one tape is one volume right, but it depends on your configuration (parallelism, savesets etc.) and the amounth of data you have to backup how many tapes that are needed.
The barcode could be the same as the tape lable if you specify match_barcode_lable=yes. Ofcourse NetWorker still uses its own internal lable but the only lable name you will see is the barcode one.

If you want to store tapes offsite remember to use a retention policy that will cover the time you want to store the tapes offsite and mark them as manual recycable just to make sure networker wont recycle the tapes by mistake and to make it easier to read them.

Thanx a lot for your reply.
HOw do I specify match_barcode_lable=yes.

Thanx a lot again.
Kavita

It depends on what platform of course but on a Windows platform you either do it when creating the jukebox with jbconfig orn in the Jukebox configuration window. Open nwadmin choose options/customize and show hidden attributes. Then open the Autochanger setup, mark the jukebox you have created, right click and choose edit.

Just a point, but if you are planning on using a different pool for each day, what schedule are you planning on using? If you only did a full on a Friday, then you would never recycle tapes for the other days. This would only really work if you always did full backups.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back