Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup using Tape ( URGENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jomons

Technical User
Dec 16, 2002
IN
Hi

I have a question regading backup to tape device.Can we append files to an existing tape archive using "tar" command.Is there any option available for that.

Please let me know.

Regards

Joe

I think 'r' does it -

tar rv6 files*

if its a tarfile you need -

tar rnvf files*

check out

man tar

for more info Dean Owen

I don't think you can use the the "r" argument for tape archives. It's only for disk.

You can do the original "tar" using the no-rewind device file. It's probably the same as your current device file but with a "n" prefix (e.g. /dev/nrct0 rather than /dev/rct0). You can then do a new "tar c" command to start a new tar archive after the first archive.

To move around the tape to recover files use the "tape" command to position the tape to the archive you need to recover. You should practice this to ensure you are getting reliable backups. Use the "tar t" command to verify both archives after your backup is completed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back