Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup Users Account of a Windows 2000 Member Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

shemsher

IS-IT--Management
Dec 13, 2002
US
Hi,
Need Help.............
I have one Old Windows 2000 member server and its has own local user account. Recently we bought one new server, which is going to replace the old member server.
Now I am planning is to backup only the user accounts from that old member server and restore those user accounts into the new member server. I tried with system 'state back data' backup from old member server and restore into the new member server, but did not work. Need Advice.

Shemsher

You may have to back up not only the system state data, but files and folders as well. The access control list (ACL) for each object is stored with that object in NTFS... each file and folder holds its own ACL. Restoring the system state may reproduce the SIDs, but Those SIDs won't be in the ACLs unless they're restored too.

Thanks,
We tried both, but after restoring server cannot bootup. Is there any possible solution.

Thanks,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back