Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

backup to tape drive on remote host

Status
Not open for further replies.

goBoating

Programmer
Feb 8, 2000
US
Hello All,

I find myself in a new job. Yea! But, am moving from what used to be Perl programming and database work back into sys admin stuff. It has been a few years. I tried the search fxn to no avail. And, 'sorry if this stuff is terribly newbish.

I have two HP Integrity rx2620 boxes. One has a tape drive, the other does not. I'd like to be able to use the one tape drive to backup both boxes and am looking for some strategy advice.

It would seem pretty straight forward to mount the root of the file system on the second box from the first box (the one with the tape drive) and just let the first box do all the backup work. Neither machine is heavily loaded.

Is there a better approach? Is there a remote host style approach to this that might be better?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

'hope this helps

If you are new to Tek-Tips, please use descriptive titles, check the FAQs, and beware the evil typo.

Machine with Tape = MWT
Machine without Tape = MWOT

This works.

To write to tape on MWT from machine without tape (MWOT):
# find . -print | cpio -oBv |(ssh MWT dd of=/dev/rmt/0mnb)

To restore from that tape.
'cd' to desired write location, then,
# ssh MWT "dd if=/dev/rmt/0mnb bs=8k" | cpio -icvBdum

Now I have to figure out how to manage the backup size. Each machine is about 30 gigs. A dds3 tape will only hold 24 gigs. Darn it.

'hope this helps

If you are new to Tek-Tips, please use descriptive titles, check the FAQs, and beware the evil typo.

'Looks like fbackup/frecover may be a better approach than find/cpio/dd.

However, when I give fbackup the '-f' arg it fails to make the jump.

I'm trying:
# fbackup -f MWT:/dev/rmt/0mnb -i /home/junkFolder -v

I get an error.
fbackup(3301): could not open output file MWT:/dev/rmt/0mnb
fbackup(3019): would you like to enter a new output file?

No. I would not. I would like to write to the tape drive on MWT :-[

How do I expose the tape drive on MWT so that fbackup on MWOT can find/use it?

Thanks,

'hope this helps

I'm guessing this thread belongs in the HP-UX forum since it's more of an operating system rather than server hardware question.

Annihilannic.

You're correct. I'll head that direction.

'hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back