Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup to disk implementation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tech24

Technical User
Nov 22, 2005
US
Hello,

We are changing our backup strategy from tape to disk based.. we used Symantec backup exec 10d.. I already have started but I’m not totally cleared on how to configure the new scenario..

Actually we perform a daily incremental backup (to tape) Monday – Friday which are overwritten every 6 days… and full one on weekend that we overwrite every 4 weeks (i.e. the 1st week job is kept until the 1st week of the next month….). We’ll continue with this strategy, but to configure it to disk I had to create 5 jobs (for the daily ones) and 4 jobs for the weekly.

Has anyone implemented backup-to-disk backup? How did you do it? I would like to have some guidance and examples to confirm if I’m working in the right way…
Can you help me?
Thanks

Here's one scenario that I follow using SBS backup:

Marina Roos said:
Get at least 3 big USB drives and rotate 2 of them every day, with the 3rd one off site for the week.

I also run a second daily backup to an on-board IDE HDD that allows for faster recovery than over USB. My backups are small (<50 GB) so I have plenty of time at night for a third backup, an incremental file-copy backup to yet another HDD.

I like laptop HDDs in cases because I feel they travel better, but if you have a large amount of data this may not work for you.

Tony

Users helping Users...

One critical fact (which should be obvious to all) bears repeating. When disconnecting USB drives from Windows machines, use the Safely Remove Hardware routine to stop the drive to avoid Delayed Write Failure errors and backup corruption.

Tony

Users helping Users...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back