Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

backup to disk equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tech24

Technical User
Nov 22, 2005
US
I'm interesting in getting a new backup equipment. Actually we used a tape library, but we want to migrate to backup to disk. I've found some possible solutions but I want to know if i can get some inputs that may help me to find the right equipment. Any recommendation that may help us.
thanks,

There are many factors which should be taken into consideration. How long do you wish to keep data on disk? How much data do you back up each week, etc. I've been using the SATABeast for about a year now and they scream right along. I have 1 in my main data center which serves as a primary backup target. I also have 3 in my remote data center which serve as targets for auxiliary copies from the first system. I then spin 3 tape copies from the second set of SATABeasts. I keep data available on disk and tape for 28 days onsite. I'd say any SATA / SATA-II array will significantly boost your backup performace and it will without question boost your restore times depending on whether or not you retain the data on disk. Take a look at the SATABeast - I've been really happy with them. I was using STK SATA arrays before I got the SATABeast. STK's were faster than tape, but the SATABeast is almost twice as fast in my environment.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back