Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup through firewall

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkalbus

Technical User
Jun 20, 2001
DE
Hi there,

we've got a stupid idea - at least thats my impression after reading the manual.

We want to backup clients through a firewall.
We have a DataZone behind our firewall and want to backup clients outside of it. Is there anyone doing this?
I've looked at the documentation about ports to open and almost could not believe what I read -
100 ports per client connection plus two service ports.
Must I open 100 ports per client?

there are 8 outside the firewall and 22 inside of it - that would give me a total of 30 clients, which translates to 3000 ports open? Is this true? shall I discard my firewall?

Any suggestions appreciated

Johanes

HI

Having made some experiences with firewall backup, you might think about other ways of backing up those clients especially because of the slow performance you might see and the number of ports to open.
We have done a lot of solutions using dedicated networks or vpn tunnels to build up workarounds.

anyway backup over the firewall works but nobody likes it the way it is.

Ditmar

We do backup one host in DMZ through firewall. We opened ports acording to Legato instruction, but only between backup server and the host. Works ok, so far.

You shouldn't have to open ports for the clients inside of the firewall.

jlh16, thats true, but how do I ensure that the clients inside the firewall don't use ports which should be used from clients outside the firewall.

Johanes

Good question. We have a huge number of ports open for backups.

According to Legato support they are working on a fix for firewall use. The patch numbers are LGTpa36506 and LGTpa34988. Of course they have been "working" on the problem for over a year with no solution.

Yes you do have to have so ports open.

It's not easy but perhaps if you go to options you can configure each client to use specific ports on the firewall. You may find this time consuming if you have lots and lots of clients but it may be your only choice.

Hope this helps.

Regards
KeefB

[lightsaber]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back