Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

backup test plan

Status
Not open for further replies.

umbletech

IS-IT--Management
Jan 29, 2006
Hi All

Sorry this is such a big question but help on any bit of it would be great so here goes...

I've been tasked with writing this section of a large exchange implementation and I'm a little stumped:
We're using NetApps snapmgr for snapshotting and IBM TSM for the tape backups The vendor's saying whole server restore testing is out of scope.

We've bought single mailbox restore capability so I'm testing that and also with a user who's been rehomed to another mail server. Obviously testing restoring an exchange database.

The rebuild strategy is to image the OS using IBM's rapid deployment manager and then restore the system state - so I'm going to get them to delete a couple of reg keys after saving the registry and do a sys state restore.

On the TSM side I'm asking them to test its database mirroring capabilities and maybe a TSM We've also bought their Disaster Recovery Manager module but not too sure how to test this without blowing away a server.

And of course there's the SAN failover stuff. Now I'm sure HP, DELL, IBM etc. must have some enterprise test scenarios or case studies that go through this but I haven't been able to find them.

The focus is on backup, restore and redundancy testing. I've been all over the net on this one, books and looked at the MS Server Reference Architecture but not much detail anywhere.

If anyone has any old test plans they can share (more than happy to give written agreement to commercial in
confidence) or good links to detailed vendor materials or just tips and gotchas and any bit of this, they would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

Thanks Matt

I'll definately check out that as part of my TSM familiarisation.

I got a couple of test docs out of NetApp. For everybodys knowledge we found that NetApps snapmanager for exchange will talk to any VSS backup software so can integrate with TSM. We were doing file based backup. So you can can restore snapshots from tape and replay the logs. The snapmanager admin guide talks about having to blow a lun away but that's only if you backed it up as a LUN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back