Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup Taking to Long

Status
Not open for further replies.

newfieman

MIS
Jul 4, 2002
CA
I am using Arcserve 2000 without patches
I am NT 4.0 with SP 6A

In the pass few weeks my backup Starts at 11:30pm and Finishes 8:49Am every Morning. I viewed the log and notice that some jobs takes over an hour to backup 300MB. Does anyone have any ideas why it is taking so long to do certain jobs.

Thanks
Newfieman

Are you doing remote backups or are they local backups?

Could be NIC card duplex configuration, anti-virus on certain server, network problems, etc.....

g

I have the same problem. What I have found, viewing the log files, is that there are a lot of open files on the network and the estimation process takes a long time before the back up can begin.

At my company we use a Maxtor NASSERVER 4300 so we can't use the File Open Agent plug in to ArcServe. Instead I log in remotely a few minutes before the back up is supposed to kick off and close all network resources for the server that is going to be backed up. This has cut down my back up times from 16 hour back ups to 4.5 hours. Hope that helps, but any additional information you can provide would be helpful.

Why haven't you bothered to patch ArcServe 2000? I run AS2K on a NT4-postSP6a server and have installed all the major SP's (at SP4 at this writing) The backup software runs better than when I installed it off the Computer Associates CD. Give it a try I think you will be pleased! Tim Benton
CNE(4&5),MCP
Studying for CNE6 and MCSA

Hey I have had the same problem and figured it out. I was using 2 different types of tapes in my back up device. HP DLT and Quantum DLT. The HP tapes almost always went 1.5 times faster than the Quantum tapes. I know this sounds weird but some times tapes make a difference. I would take 2 hours to back up my companies mailboxes on the HP, the Quantum took 3 hrs 22 min. for the same backup. Try to see if that is the case.

If you are backing up remote computers, are you using the Arcserve client agent? It made a big impact on my backups (as long as the drives were not compressed in Windows).

-DJ

Had the same problem on our servers. I wrote a simple batch file (net stop mcshield) to disable the virus guard and another one to restart it (net start mcshield). In the Pre/Post tab under Options, run the "Stop" batch file before your backup and the "Start" batch file afterwards. This makes the backup process about four or five times quicker.

David

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back