Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup Strategy

Status
Not open for further replies.

technical1

Technical User
Sep 2, 2002
GB
Hi,
Ive installed BrightStor ARCServe 11 recently and have created a backup job that backs my IIS webfolders.
I do a full backup of my webfolders on Sunday & Wednesday.
Incremental backups on the other days.

In terms of Disaster recovery(os, system state etc), how often would i backup the complete server? Is once every 2 weeks acceptable?

technical1, how often you should backup your server for disaster recovery is very subjective. There are several factors involved, such as:

- How critical is the system to your day to day operations?
- How limited are you in terms of backup space (whether you are backing up to tape or disk)?
- Does the backup process impact the system?
- Is the data fairly static or does a lot of data change on a daily basis?

If the system is very critical and you have plenty of space left on the tapes, you might want to do a full backup every night. We do a full backup of OS, Registry, and System State on almost every one of our servers (100+) every night.

On the other hand, if its not a critical system and data doesn't change that much, then doing a full backup on Monday with Differential backups Tuesday through Thursday might be perfectly fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back