Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup Strategy for Fast Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.

rsai

Programmer
Oct 9, 2002
GB
Hi
I am looking at putting in place a backup strategy that will allow a rapid switch back to yesterdays position, and would welcome any comments.

This is the situation:

I have a large ( 150gb) multifile database which is updated by a batch job once a day. If there is a problem with the overnight job and we need to recover the database from tape this can take up to 15 hours, which obviously means a that the system is down for a day.

We have recently installed a large amount of extra disk to enable backup to disk rather than tape, which should considerably speed up recover time, however we were wondering if there was more we could do.

We have a reasonable window in the evening schedule when the system is not in use.

What we were considering was:

1/ Carry our normal nightly backup( incremental or full depending on how long it takes)but to disk rather than tape. This will give us protection against system failures etc.

2/ Detach the database

3/ Copy the database files to another area of the SAN

4/ Reattach the database

5/ Attach the copied files as a new database

In the event of a problem with the overnight load we would be able to rename the original database to old. or somesuch and rename the copy of the database to the same name as the original database. Thus being able to switch back to yesterdays version in a matter of seconds.

I have tried this out with small single file databases and it seems to work fine.

Does anybody see any problems with this approach or know of a better way of achieving this? Any suggestions welcome.

Here's an ideea to reduce risks almost to 0:

- use 2 separate servers
Let's say Server1 192.168.99.1
Server2 192.168.99.2
- set up a continuous replication between them.
- set connection to all users through TCP/IP for Server1

If your Server1 crashes, then you just change the IP of Server2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back