Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup Storage Options?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TDKMan

MIS
Jun 2, 1999
US
We currently still use a single-tape backup scheme (8mm) for our backup needs. Just recently our network and data has begin to grow. We our looking for different options to upgrade our backup environment.

We will still need a way of saving data to media for off-site storage. We currently are using CA as our backup software in a mixed OS environment. Here is what I envision, but I am not sure if it is feasible (Have not kept up-to-date on backup storage devices). I envision backing up data to some sort of storage device, where we do not have to switch out cartridges, but then the offsite storage of our backups becomes a problem.

What type of devices are Network/Storage Administrators using to backup their data? Is there a favorite vendor? What about backing up data to CD's instead of Data Tapes?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Joe

Backup to CD's would be slow - very slow.

What format of 8mm are you using ? Is it the 5/10GB format (Exabyte 8505) ? Is it the Mammoth (20/40 GB) or Mammoth-2 (40/80GB) ? Is it AIT/AIT-2/AIT-3 ?

All of these use 8mm format. I'm inclined to thing your answer will be the first choice.

The other options I have listed can be other options for you - and they will use different media, but the "form factor" of the tapes will be the same.

Once you leave the 8mm form factor, you get DLT, SDLT, LTO, Magstar, 3590.

The determining factors will be (in no particular order):

A. Backup window
B. Media costs
C. Backward compatability (Mammoth can read old 8mm tapes)
D. Support for backup software
E. Backup server support (what'cha gonna connect the tape drive to?)

There are others, but thsee are the major ones.

Regards, Bill.

Bill,

Thanks for the reply. - We are using 20/40 Mammoth 8MM Tapes. - We have a daily backup window of 8 hours. - Media costs are are major concern with our Fiscal department. (They would like to see cheaper media costs) - When we upgrade, we will also be purchasing a new backup server (Windows).

Thanks again for the reply.

Joe Joe

HI,
I have a similar question. We are growing from a home based business to one that has 6 employees. We are currently using seagate-(travan 1.6GB uncompressed tapes)on an old Win 95 system. We have a mixed windows environ. What would people suggest as the best alternative. We have been quoted on Sony 20-40GB DDS-4 Scsi Internal server kits, and super DLT super. Can anyone comment on relaibility of these and backwards compatability, and suitability? Does any other system spring to mind as being more suitable?? Are there any sites I can refer to for an objective view?

We have been trying the Amerivault product ( to replace an aging Arcserve/DDS system at a remote office. The site has 1 NT4 and 1 NW4.11 file server, totalling 2gb, with a 128k Frame Relay. You install the Vytalvault client on each server and it sends byte level deltas over your internet connection to a SAN that Amerivault runs. You pay a per GB fee monthly for how much data they store for you. We have it setup with a standard GFS rotation exactly like we did on tape, except out daily backups are tiny, as the changes at a byte level really are small. This system eliminated tape entirely, is 100% offsite, is managed remotely, and is very cost effective for us. Amerivault is even colocated at our DR site at Sungard in Philly! The flip side is that you need to have a strong/reliable internet connection, but thats why we are still trying it out ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back