Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup Solutions 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

dle46163

IS-IT--Management
Jul 9, 2004
US
Hi All!

Does anyone know of backup software other than Symantec's product that will do the following:

Backup Windows 2003 Servers with mirrored dynamic disk types running Active Directory, IIS and MySql, in real time. Also I want the backups to be image files where ENTIRE servers (OS and ALL) can be restored or have the option to explore the image file and restore selected files.

Symantec's server product is $1500. There's got to be something out there that's a bit less expensive. Anyone have ideas? Thanks!

I agree.. Veritas EXEC backup is what we use at a place i work.. It does the job perfectly

~ You have nothing to fear but fear itself... n maybe the Microsoft Corp ~

erm isnt Veritas now owned by Symantec? sort of spoils the question and answer some what as Backup Exec is a great product, erm was.

I would also suggest either Ghost enterprise - oops symantec again or HP Remote Deployment which is a version of Altiris another great apps.

Just to give you some choice - just dont buy ARCServe

as for Backup exec. it will cost u a fortune, however you could use volume shadow copy and then replicate that to another box just to give you some peace of mind and resiliance?

I've looked at and used all those solutions in various environments. Thing that bugs me about Veritas and Arcserve is everything beyond the base package is a plug in and they charge big time for each module. I really like Symantec's approach and I realize this type of cloning technology (while the server is running) is fairly new. I just figured someone else made a similar product for less. And even though I have found several companies that will clone while the server runs, most have problems dealing with dynamic disks. Any more thoughts would be welcome! Thanks!

You might want to check out CommVault Systems backup software. I haven't used it in a couple of versions, but I know that they've been adding in some additional features.

Denny

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)

[noevil]
(My very old site)

I know that Veritas has been mentioned but use NetBackup. I am pretty sure it will handle almost anything you throw at it but it's pretty pricey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back