Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup Solution

Status
Not open for further replies.

stvchez123

Programmer
Apr 18, 2002
US
Hi,
I'm trying to plan to a disaster recovery plan on my current hard drive, if it goes down. What I've done is buy an External Hard Drive as a backup. So far, I create a DOS boot disk and used MS Backup to create a disk image of the drive. My question: is this enough? The hard drive reseller was selling me another backup program, but not sure if its necessary.

Bottom line, what I'd need is if the primary drive goes down, I could pull a direct backup of the system from the external image to the primary drive. Also, does MS backup restore the whole applications? I have the original disks, but would much easier to restore complete.

If there's a better app, or any other recommendations, i'd appreciate any assistance

You may want to look at Norton Ghost. You can then write an image to your external drive, or DC if you like, and if your drive is lost you simply restore to a new drive with your backup image.

What i would do:
Make an image of your system to your external drive.
Use NT backup to backup only your data each night/week.

In case of disaster:
Restore the image to your new drive.
Copy the most recent data back to your new system with NT .Backup

thanks,

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back