Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup Solution Suggestions Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

xanthus

IS-IT--Management
Oct 20, 2001
US
I recently joined a company that has no previous backup plan. I have inherited a DLT 4000 tape drive and have installed ArcServe 2000 on my PDC. I do however have 3 additional servers. I am leaning towards an autoloading LTO solution. Any suggestions? Also, any suggestions on how to configure or plan the daily backups wopuld be helpful.

Thanks!!!!

I installed a Qualstar 8211 LTO library here. Relatively inexpensive. 11 tapes and 1 drive, expandable to 2.

On big files (32GB), we see a sustained speed of 18MB/sec. On smaller files, we see various numbers.

Currently, I am backing up > 200GB in about 5 hours.

You backup strategy will be driven by business requirements. We run a 31-day tape retention cycle. 2 copies per day with 1 staying on-site and 1 going off-site. To plan a backup strategy, you need to know if there are any SLA's in effect, what your disaster plan contract has on it, hardware and software support for the backup strategy.

If you need more information, just ask.

Bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back