Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup Software yet ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaforcE

IS-IT--Management
Jun 2, 2003
CA
Hi all,

Anyone find a backup software that work already with Exchange 2003 server ???

Anyone have one to recommand ?

Thanks in advance ...

- Security is a never ending job.

Backup exec 8.6 seems ot work fine. Why would new backup software be required? I know new anti virus software is required.

AM

Because Exchange is an Active Directory plug-in and Active Directory as been remake in Windows 2003. The information is not store exactly the same as it was.

So, that's a good reason ... :p

What about arcserve version 9? Can it bakcup exchange 2003?

I use Backup Exec V9. Seems to work fine E2k3. I've done backups and test restores - everything worked as expected.

Tom

I have been asked to come up with a backup solution for our three exchange servers in the company. They are located at three different sites in an 11 site organization. We are trying to come up with a disaster recovery solution. We currently have backups which we keep locally. I wanted to know if there is any product that can do mailbox replication or something like that. We currently ship tapes to the different sites once a week to get a copy of the store at the other site.
Is there any product that can do snapshot backups over the wan. Such as an incremental backups over the wan.

Haven't actually tried it yet on E2k3, and I may get laughed at for even mentioning it, but ntbackup.exe (native backup app in windows) has worked pretty well in certian situtations. I have it running a backup for one of my networks that includes Windows 2000 server and Exchange 2000. The one major limitation is that you can not restore Exchange information to the item level. Example: User deletes one important e-mail. You can restore the user's entire mailbox, but not that one e-mail item.

James
MCP, MCSE

I just deploy Ultrabac (Ultrabac.com). It's working No.1 on our 4 server 2003.

I'm pretty happy with the tech supp. also.

If you want, there's a demo 30 day fully fonctional trial on the web.

Veritas Backup exec 9 build 4454 with a patch supports Exchange 2003.

AM

Only bummer with ntbackup is that it doesn't support tape autoloaders :)

Hi Guys,

I've followed this post to try to resolve my problem backing up Exchange Server 2003 on Windows Server 2003 using
Backup Exec v9.0 Build 4454 with Hotfix 10.

It terminates with Access denied errors. I have checked and doubled checked permissions etc. Still the same

Questions:

Do I have to backup the Information Store as well as the Mailboxes tree and Public folders tree. It is this which seems to cause the access denied errors, but I am afraid that by omitting this, I could have problems on restore ??

Also, since I have the Exchange "plug-in" I can leave it running ?

Any one else having similar problems.

RogerDodge

RogerDodge,

I'm also running BE 9 Rev 4454 HF 12 and I've only seen this when the user account has been removed or disabled (or there is an invalid item in the mail box). BE tries to back it up but it is either not there or has been disabled and you get the access denied message. To get rid of it look in the error section of the log, it will say what item caused to problem and it's location. You will have to manually change the backup selection to not back-up the invalid items, AFAIK. Hopefully they will fix this so it knows not to try those items.

I'm not sure what you mean by keeping the Exchange "plug-in" running. If you can clarify this I'll try to help.

As far as only backing up the store, that is possible but you will lose the ability to restore single items from mailboxes. So if the CEO permanently deletes an email he needs and can't have it resent you will have to restore the entire store from the last backup that had the message. You could lose a lot of data that way. I know the brick level backups haved saved me a lot of headache over the years by just being able to restore singe messages.

Tom

Hi Tom,

I've finally got the Brightstor working for the most part, by literally installing each patch in turn from the CA support pages and it now works.

If I back up individual mailboxes it is fine but I still have problems with the Information Store.

From what you have said it seems likes the individual mailboxes are the way to go.

Thanks for your advice.

Roger

I am currently using Backup Exec 10 updated to current (as or July 10) to back up an Exchange 2003 Server. I get excellent backup speeds doing the Info Store. However, I also do an individual mail box backup, and I get terrible speeds for that back up. The speeds are worse than they were with Exchange 2000. I am trying to find out if anyone has any ideas or thougths. I wasn't sure what information to all include with this problem....but if any ideas might need more information, let me know.

Thanks for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back