Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup software selection

Status
Not open for further replies.

trScott

Technical User
Dec 13, 2004
US
I'm selecting a backup software program and am looking for some recommendations. I am the lone IT person and any help based on experience will help.

We just installed a PowerVault 114T and will be using Ultrium 2 LTO 200/400G data cartridges. Our backup requirements are not very complex. The backup is really for offsite storage in case everything burned down. We are mainly making backups of essential PDFs (60,000 and growing - accounting firms doc management program), backup files from MSSQL Server, and assorted documents stored on three different servers. The server to contain the tape backup software is a Windows 2000 server, while we also have a 2003 Windows server.

Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Personally I suggest you look at Netvault from Bakbone software. It will make duplicate tapes automatically and it is very fast. It will do hot backups of Oracle database not sure about MS SQL.

Good luck!

I definitely recommend BackupAssist.

It's designed for tape backup, and designed for Windows 2000 Server, Windows 2003 Server and SQL Server. Also, I think that if your backup requirements are not complex, then you'll appreciate the simplicity and price factor (less than $150... most backup software costs over $1000). You can download a fully-functional trial from their website.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back