Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

bxmakin

IS-IT--Management
Nov 7, 2001
US
Folks,

Looking to backup 5 NT/Win2k Servers, about 100GB. Probably be around 300GB at the end of year.
"PowerVaultTM 122T DLT VS80 Autoloader" for hardware looks interesting.
Veritas BackupExec looks like the right choice for software, but the options for BE i.e. professional, enterprise, enhanced etc. at Dell site has gotten me confused. If someone can sort this out.

Recommendations please.

Thx,

Bxmakin

Hi

In regards to Backup Exec 8.6 3878 you have Server Edition, Advanced Server Edition, Data Centre Edition. It all depends on the type of OS you have.
EG: If you have Windows 2000 Advanced server you will need Backup Exec 8.6 Advanced server license.

Hope this helps.

300GB isnt that much data.

Id recommend a small library ie: ADIC fastor 7, IBM 3581 Ultrium autolader etc. I find that LTO tends to be more reliable than DLT - but they are both good technologies.

AMA75 is right abput the BE versions you will need to purchase ie: If you have Windows 2000 Advanced server you will need Backup Exec 8.6 Advanced server license etc.

Word of advice!

Be careful of using a DLT autoloader with BE 8.6

I have an IBM autoloader on an IBM X440 and communication between the robotic library and BE is playing up.
Now just because I've had a prolem doesn't warrant me writing this post. So don't take my word for it.
Read through some of the recent posts for yourself and see howmany other people are having the same problems with BE 8.6(ver is NB!) and autoloaders in general.

Good luck in your quest for Secure backups!
Tyrone

I use an LTO autoloader with Veritas BE 8.6 and don't have any problems. When I installed BE, I checked the box to allow Veritas to take control of the tape library (which means it installed it's own drivers).

-SQLBill

I would go for a small library and LTO, but it cost a little more then an autoloader.

Don't think so much on your backup needs but more on your recovery needs.

When you know what your recovery needs are you will be very very close to what your backup needs are (or most often your backup needs are much lower then your recovery needs)

Eg. most installations need to be able to take all their backups in a 8-12 hour window. To backup 300 GB of data in 12 hours can be done on an old DAT drive with an autoloader.
But an installation having 100 GB of data where they need to be able to restore a 50 GB database in less then 15 min can't be done on an old DAT drive.

We all tend to think about all our daily problems to take all the backups we need, but we get the real big problems when we can't recover as fast as business want us to.

We have around 1 TB of data but we use STK9940B drives.
Two of the reasons are that we need a drive that can support fast restores and we need a drive we can trust.

/johnny

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back