Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup Problem. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

vasilek

Programmer
Jan 5, 2003
US
Hello. Can anyone shed a light on the following situation:

I purchased external 200GB USB HardDrive to back up my working files. My working folder is 15GB right now. I wanted to use Windows Backup program that is located under Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Backup. At the beginning the backup process seemed to be running fine, until it stopped when backup file reached 4GB with the alert message saying than the drive ran out of space. But the drive is 200GB. I thought may be the drive is dysfunctional. So I tried just copy and paste the entire 15GB folder and it copied it without problems. That proves that the drive is OK.

Question: why is the backup process stops when backup file reaches 4GB in size?

Many thanks for any clue.

The largest backup file NTBACKUP can create is 4 GB.

You could use Veritas as it will allow you to set the maximum size of the backup file(s) it creates. So if you had to backup 10GB total compressed data, and you told it to not create a file greater than 2GB, it would create five 2GB backup files for you.

I'm Certifiable, not certified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

The 4 GB limitation is a Fat32 limitation, not Ntbackup. Ntbackup can create backup files much larger. See:
thread531-873734 file size in Windows Backup Utility is limited to 4,194,277 kilobytes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back