Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup Performance Degrades Over Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

warenet

IS-IT--Management
Jan 21, 2002
US
Hi Folks,

I'm trying to restore 300 GB from 3 Ultrium tapes on to a CIFS share over a 100 Mbps network. The network is dedicated to the backup/restore machines.

When I start the restore it runs at about 150 MB/Min or a bit more, but as it gets further in to the restore it really starts to bog down.

The device I'm restoring to is basically a Samba server (but a high performance built for purpose box
I'm guessing the problem has to do with the # of files in the directory, once we get to 10,000 or so files things just bog down.

But I'm not 100% sure this is it.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Lance

What if you restore in chunks of 10000 files or so? does this degrade as well? or does it consider it a new job and keep retoring as per normal?

Is the serve your restoring to set to full duplex 100 Mb?

just some ides,

guru

It keeps going at about 150MB/Min if I remove items from the folders as I go.

Kind of painful....

Every thing is 100 Mbps/Full hardcoded.

Out of curiosity, what backup throughput are you getting on your backups?

Did you backup through a client agent? If so, are you restoring to one? If yes, then is it at the same patch level as the one you used to backup?

Curious....

guru

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back