Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

backup outlook before reinstalling which I may need to do

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrissirhc

Programmer
May 20, 2000
GB
Since my computer is breaking up I may need to fresh install windows 2000.

Last time I needed to backup messages using outlook express. For that it was very simple just had export the address book and accounts and then go to C:\windows\applicationdata\blah blah and then copy the outlook directory. Next in outlook express just had to import the whole thing. All the folders I setup were re installed.

With outlook what do I need to do?. In the import export section it seems you can only do one folder at a time. Is there a way to save all the folders I set up in one go???

Thanks

Chris

Where it gives you the tree view, just select the INBOX at the top of the view, and then check the "Include Subfolders" checkbox at the bottom.

That'll get them all.

:)
Paul Prewett
penny.gif
penny.gif

There is no checkbox and inbox doesn't have any subfolders. The other folders are in personal folder.

Even when I click on a folder which has subfolders, there is no check box.

Can I not copy the way did before i.e. the whole directory copy.

Or do you know another solution.

ps my outlook is from office 2000

Cheers
Chris

Hi Chrissirhc,
The way to back up Outlook is to click on the "Outlook Today - Personal Folders" item at the top of your folders list in Outlook. To see the folders list, click on the "Folder List" icon in your toolbar at the top of the Outlook screen. You then go into the File menu - Import & Export - Export to a file - next - click on "Persoanl Folder File (.pst)" in the drop down list - next - select your folder to export from, say its "personal folders", and also on this screen tick the tick-box which says "Include subfolders" - next - tell it where you want the file to go to and what you want to call the back-up file; and then click "Finish". It will then save the whole lot in one file called *.pst. I hope you understood my procedure. If not come back to me. Bye. Electron.

you just need to copy the folders:

C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook.
C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook.

The when you install outlook again you copy the files back into thise folders and it will look just like before. done it lots of times :)

The actual method that electron mentioned with the .pst file works as well. Its quite handy as it puts everything into one file!

I tested it by deleting a folder and then importing the saved .pst file.

Cheers

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back