Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

backup or detach/attach

Status
Not open for further replies.

user35

MIS
Jun 26, 2007
US
I've noticed in some of the Macola ES docs when copying a company to create a new test company in a SQL 2000 environment, they typically tell you to do a detach, copy and attach. I would normally just create a blank ES company, do a SQL backup of the original database to bak file and Restore the bak file to the new database.

Is there any advantage to doing the detach/attach over backup/restore?

I guess the detach would ensure that everyone was out of the company being copied, but aside from that I always use the backup to disk, create company and restore method. I would think there's much less chance of screwing something up using the backup/copy method too versus the detach/copy.

Peter Shirley

I agree.. Backup/Restore seems easier and less prone to error. That's why I was curious if there was some advantage to doing it via detach/attach...
Thanks

Peter,
In your text you said you create company. Do you do this by Creating an Empty Company in ES? Then use SQL to restore the existing database bak file into the new database?

Nope - I just create the database in SQL, then use the restore into that database (by selecting the 'show backups from other databases' option). I also use the 'force restore over existing datbase option' on the second tab.

Once the restore is complete, I just use the advanced button in the ES login screen to select the new company.

Peter Shirley

Creating a new ES company this way does not seem to put an entry in db.ini on the network share. Is that necessary?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back