Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BackUp off line ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

camaleonCHILE

IS-IT--Management
Jul 7, 2005
hi everyone, i need some help urgently....the situation is this:

I've made a backup of my database in the Enterprise Manager, but when I want to restore it in another machine, it said that the "back up is off line or there is a device error".... ¿ what i'm doing wrong ?

any suggestions will be great

Regards, Camaleon Chile

Have you copied the backup file to the other server and tried restoring it OR are you trying to restore the backup file FROM the disc on the server you created the backup file from??

Thanks

J. Kusch

I've copied de backup file to another server and I have the problem there....

thanks in advance

atte CamaleON CHILE

Have you tried using With Move to change the path of where the data file and log file are supposed to be saved? Also, are you sure you're trying to restore a .bak file and not a .mdf file?

Catadmin - MCDBA, MCSA
"If a person is Microsoft Certified, does that mean that Microsoft pays the bills for the funny white jackets that tie in the back???

How did you make the backup? There are four ways to make backups and only three of them will work.

1. Use SQL Server commands to make a backup file.
2. Use Third-party software that does a backup using SQL Server commands
3. Detach the database and backup the .mdf file
4. Backup the .mdf file while the database is in use.

#4 will NOT create a usable backup.

-SQLBill

Posting advice: FAQ481-4875

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back