Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup of Sub-Interface possible with static routes? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmarshall

ISP
Aug 23, 2001
US
Lets assume two frame relay t1's coming into a router, the intent being that if one t1 fails the other will carry the load. Say it's a 1720 with two WIC's. S0 connects to the frame cloud, S0.1 has a PVC with DLCI 16 which points to the upstram neighbor using the IP of E0.
S1 connects to the frame cloud, S1.1 has a PVC with DLCI 16 which also points to the upstream neighbor using the IP of E0.

There is a default route of

IP route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 S0.1

Assuming that S1.1 is configured as a backup for s0.1, how do I change the route so that 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 now points to s1.1?

Also, on the upstream router, 172.16.1.0 255.255.255.0 points down the pipe to the PVC with S0.1 on the downstream, how do I get that to switch to go down the PVC that points to S1.1 Is it time for me to move away from static routes?

I hope I understand you correctly, you have two routes to a frame cloud. What you want to do is setup a secondary default route incase the primary goes down. This is how I've done it, I used a floating static route.

IP route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.10.10.1 <--ip address of next hop for S0.1
IP Route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.10.11.1 100 <--ip address of next hop for S1.1

What this would do if the router lost connection to the next hop for S0.1 it would roll over to S1.1 When the connection for S0.1 would come back on-line since the cost of the secondary route is higher it would then default back to S0.1. Now you threw in the PVC's I don't know if this will work the same but I use it for my VPN connections both running down different default routes and it works great for my internal traffic. In your case I don't know if you can use floating static routes but it's worth a try..

david e
*end users are just like computers, some you can work with...others just need a simple reBOOTing to fix their problems.*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back