Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup of Cluster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hinux

Technical User
Sep 21, 2004
ZA
Hi

We are implementing Oracle RAC running on 4 Linux Servers.
I am a bit baffled on how to approach the backup on the cluster. The setup doesn't use 'n virtual node and I have never backed up a cluster without the virtual node.

At the moment everything is backed up twice , because I dont know how to tell Legato that the Servers are Running in a cluster.

Any comments/ideas regarding Oracle RAC backups would be great.

Regards
Hinux

Hi Hinux!
Here´s some information i found regarding this.

---
Follow docs in the NMO Admin Guide which reference OPS and RAC environments, but you don't need to setup a virtual client due to the intrinsic behaviour of the way these Oracle environments behave.

The NMO Admin Guide references virtual nodes in the chapter describing the installation in an Oracle RAC environment. For RAC or OPS environments it is not necessary to create a virtual NMO client for the backup
---

Installation guide:

Admin guide:

Hope it helps!

Cheers!
Maverick

This seems to be if you backup the nodes as individual nodes - by their own names, or I am missing something.

This doesn't seem to allow for any Failover backup and
doesn't have any failover intelligence built in. It is seems to be treated purely as a node ,however, we have
duplication of backup data - as both nodes "share" the same disk.

What we are trying to accomplish is to backup the data from a particular node (the active node), and in case node A Fail restart the backup on node 2. Similarly for restores.
This seems fairly easy when you make use of virtual nodes, but in the RAC setup, there is no virtual node. The RAC manages the nodes.
Which makes it confusing.. What do I put in The "Save set" field of NODE A and B if I put : RMAN:/backup/database/scripts/TSTF_FULL.cmd
in both nodes "Save set" fields, they are going to backup the same thing? because it is shared storage.

How will Networker know that NODE A has failed and should try NODE B, without talking to a virtual host.

Thanks for any feedback.
Hinux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back