Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup: need advice ASAP

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonuteklists

Technical User
Jul 20, 2004
US
Firstly, If I backup the entire folder itself, is that considered a good backup. Can the database/tables be restored just from the folder contents itself.
For some reason, I am unable to use the export utility as it says invalid username/password even for SYSTem, although I can connect to the Enterprise Management Console using the same username/password (SYSTEM/password).
Thirdly, when I try to use the Backup tool, I get a 'this wizard can only be launched when the application is connected to OMS. Launch the application and connect to OMS before trying to use the wizard again.
Please advice. Need help ASAP atleast on the first point.
Thanks.

If the database is shut down

and

all your datafiles, redologs, controlfiles, init.ora, are in the same folder structure

then I would say you have a backup

As you appear to be on a Windows platform I am of no help on the other 2 questions

Alex

Thanks alexhu.
Any Oracle on Windows Guru's around ??

I am unable to use the export utility as it says invalid username/password even for SYSTem, although I can connect to the Enterprise Management Console using the same username/password (SYSTEM/password).
I assume you are executing the export from a 'cmd' (batch) window? -- Then you have to make sure the ORACLE_HOME environment variable is set to the Oracle directory and then use the <uid>/<pw>@<db> execution form for export.

Thirdly, when I try to use the Backup tool, I get a 'this wizard can only be launched when the application is connected to OMS.
In order to use the majority of the OEM tools, you need to create an Oracle Management Server (OMS) which is a database with the OEM catalog on it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
The person who says it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it. -- Chinese proverb

Thanks LKBrwnDBA,
Re, "you need to create an Oracle Management Server (OMS) which is a database with the OEM catalog on it",
could you give me pointers, links on ways to do this...

I will assume you are using Oracle 9i, here is the OEM link

If you only have one database, all you need to do is execute the Oracle Database Configuration Assistant and 'Configure Database Options' to configure your database as OEM Server.

Otherwise you need to 'Create New Database' and configure as OEM Server.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
The person who says it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it. -- Chinese proverb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back