Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BackUp Method

Status
Not open for further replies.

yoshi8888

Technical User
Nov 21, 2003
US
Hi, I am novice. I have a question of how to backup.
I am trying to backup all system files and user's data in server. And if it fails to start up completely, I want to recover 100%. The total size to backup is more than 20GB.
Then, a question goes, what kind of software should I use?
And what kind of storage device should I use?

I am looking at major backup software such as Veritas
Backup Exec, ArcServe, or PowerQuest V2i Protector.
(NT backup , too)
Please give me an advise to pick up those softwares.

In addition, When you need to backing up 20GB data, where do you guys backup to? Tape, Network Storage or internal HardDisk??? Would anybody tell me general strategy about this?

Thank you in advance

Yoshi

I would stay away from Arcserve and NTBackup. I would recommend either BakBone NetVault or Veritas Backup Exec and both can be found here:

It would be wise to backup to tape. With the amount of Data you have to backup I would consider a Quantum DLT 8000 or an AIT 3.

comtec17, thank you for replying.
I understand that the Tape backup is very popular.

But, the price of Hard Disk(Internal/External)is getting cheape and cheaper. It is more cost effective and saves data more quickly. I know the disadvantage of using HardDisk is the disk may be broken and it gets infected from Virus or damaged by Hackers.

But, is that only a reason to use tape?

Yoshi

Disk is an alternative solution but that disk that has backed up the data should be backed up by tape for business continuity.

Although disk is cheaper, there are downsides to it. Like, how long are you planing to keep the data on the disk? How much disk will you need? (this will always grow) disk is not cheaper than tape and tape can be stored offsite. When using disk it stores the data the same way it does on tape, sequentially. Depending on the tape drive, adapter, and your server architecture tape can restore and write to tape just as fast as it could to disk.

So all in all, my personal opinion is to use tape for backups. If you must use disk, use it for a storage pool and backup the storage pool to tape.

oh i see.... Tape is better in scalability and cost efficiency in a long term.
I may have to buy another disk if the disk is full or backup data size exceeds the capacity of the disk while Tape backup only needs another empty Tape.

okay.
What about software?

i know the bakbone and backup exec are very popular, but I do not see any avantage of using those software. If all network are under windows environment, NTBackup satisfies all my needs to back up data (including exchange). Those softwares need to buy a license for an additional server or exchange data backup. I've never used bakbone, but I've using Backup Exec. It's okay, but it cannot full-restore unless buying additional license for Inteligent Disaster Recovery. NTbackup is native backup software and no cost. Why do people
pick those softwares instead of NTbackup?

Have anyone use Power Quest V2i Protector?
It backups data as an image just like symantec ghost.
It restores completely including applicatoins.
I am considering to use it with a combination of NTbackup. What do you think?

Yoshi

The cost of tape backup is cheap initially, but is more costly in the long run and it is hidden in terms of the maintenance tape requires in terms of cleaning tape head, re-tensioning and putting one in an embaracing situation not being able to recover from it. V2i is good but check out cheaper and better. If you need a disk based backup check

I am the user of V2i. It works great but kind of slow load up. Also, if the console lost the connection with client, you need to re-establish the connection in order for you to perform the disk copy. We use v2i for daily disk colon (Full and Incremental), and HDD to tape for every week.

I've used backup exec and arcserve, have found proding myself in the eye with a shard of glass is less painful, try.. HP's Data protector
Power Quest V2i Protector is my current tea mat.

I would stay away from Bakbone - I have had nothing but problems (stil going) with NetVault. Go for something more reliable like Veritas Backup Exec.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back