Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

(Backup Linux) Direct Harddisk-To-Harddisk Copy

Status
Not open for further replies.

xiskewl

Technical User
Jun 4, 2001
SG
I need to backup my current linux & i was thinking:

Is there a Linux software backup package that will produce an EXACT replica of my harddisk(onto another HD)

A similar software is DiskCopy but it's for Windoz platform, not Linux.

If anyone has any recommendations, pls do tell me. Thanks! :)

Norton Ghost, which has support for LINUX. version 5.1 + should work fine. I use that at work to "ghost" windows PCs as well as LINUX boxes. Works fine so far. Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

James Collins
Computer Hardware Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

PowerQuest DriveImage works well with pretty much any OS you can install on PC. Since it boots from it's own floppy the OS is irrelevant, only the partition format matters. I haven't found a format on a PC HDD it couldn't handle yet. Ian

"IF" is not a word it's a way of life

Norton Ghost should do the job but doesn't work if the destination hard drive is on another machine on the network. Only Norton Ghost Enterprise (does not sell for single user/license) and Paragon Software provide this feature.
Anyone knows another solution ? The typical use is for laptop HD backup when the laptop has no 2ond HD nor USB nor ZIP or similar.

Thanx, Bruno

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back