Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup large database

Status
Not open for further replies.

fsqueeen

Programmer
Jul 8, 2002
MY
I have a database which is around 6gb. May I know which is the better way to backup my database?

1. Copy the MySQL data directory to create a backup
or
2. mysqldump?

I'm just worried that zipping up the data directory will make the MySQL hang as I'm goin to zip a big directory. But using mysqldump, will it consume many server resources?

Guide needed from you all... thanks a lot...

Copying the whole of the data directory will ensure a complet backup, but you need to shut down mysql while you do that.

mysqldump will use all of your available memory unless you use the --quick option, but at least mysql remains running.

The question really, is do you have to worry about downtime.

mysqlhotcopy will allow you to copy the database without taking it down. I don't have any experience using it myself.

only if you dont have any innodb tables.

Thanks everyone...

Ya.. I am worrying about down time. Every second or every minute will have traffic come in. I am sure that I can't turn off the Mysql for the back up process.

My database has innodb tables... that's why I think mysqlhotcopy can't use for the back up.

So, does mysqldump with --quick option will ensure that the back up process does not use all my available memory? Will I need to turn off Mysql while back up?

with the --quick option, records are written out 1 at a time, instead of the whole table being read into memory before being written to file, its still a fairly intensive process, especially if you are writing to the same disk mysql is reading from.

If downtime is a critical issue you could think about setting up a second mysql server which is replicated from the first, this gives you an online backup, and the ability to shut down completely to backup without affecting the main server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back