Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

backup jobs not using scratch tapes first

Status
Not open for further replies.

catluvr

Technical User
Jan 14, 2005
US
Sorry but I'm new.

I'm using BUE 9.0 for Windows and in the book it says a backup job will first look for overwritable media in scratch. I have overwritable media in scratch but the jobs don't appear to be using it. One job was held up over the weekend because it was unable to find overwritable media. Should I erase media before moving it to scratch? Or does the media have to be moved into the media set prior to running the job?

Go to DEVICES tab, right-click on the tape slot and choose "Label Media".

CAUTION!!!! - that will re-label the tape and set it to unused and therefore WILL ERASE THE CONTENTS.

That should automatically throw it into the SCRATCH media partition.

Make sure the job is set to the proper setting "Overwrite..." or "Append...."

Cheers!

Chuck

Follow these Steps;
tools-->options--->on Properties side select MEDIA MANAGEMENT
Take a look at the "Media Overwrite Protection Level" section and the "Media Overwrite Options" section.
Set these to the desired settings.

Also...to scratch a tape you do not need to "RELABEL" the tape. Place it in the Autoloader and then go to the MEDIA Tab and the find the tape label you want to scratch. Select it and then Drag and Drop into SCRATCH. It is now considered Scratch Media!!! The nice part of this is the data is still on the tape until this tape has actually been used again to write a backup. You can always drag it back to your desired "Media Set" and perform a restore from this tape. Once it is in scratch and has been used the data is now lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back