Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup job seems to work ok, but gives status: "Failed"

Status
Not open for further replies.

pakko

Technical User
Nov 7, 2004
FI
Backup Exec 8.6 seems to do everything right, but in the Activity Monitor jobs stuck "On Hold (Failed)" According to the log it seems to back up everything, however on one drive 1 corrupted file was backed up, 3 files were in use and 2 items were skipped.

Does the "Failed"-status appear because of the 2 skipped files? I can't figure out what else could be the problem.

Regards

The corrupted file will make the job "fail" but skips should not. Do you know what file it was? I have seen this before when it was trying to back up an Outlook .PST file that was still being accessed by a client. It says the file was corrupt but it's just the way Outlook locks it when in use.

I'm not sure if an Open Files Agent would help solve your problem. Good luck!

I think another thing going on with outlook PST files is that if a user has it opened, by the time the verify part gets to that file, the file has changed therefore the error message says its a corrupted file. I have around 350 computers in a hospital environment so theres always someone that has their PST files open so all of my jobs complete as Failed.

DMen

Nothing unusual there. My backup has "failed" on more than one occasion complaining about open files. I installed the AOFA agent and most times it will backup properly even when open but occasionaly it will still complain. The rest of the backup is absolutely fine. Its a pitty that there isnt an "error threshold" setting that would give better control of these error messages.

Use the AOFA agent and see how it goes...

The corrupted file is Solid FlowEngine's solid.db.

Hmmm... What is AOFA agent, what does it do and where can I get it? (noob)

Regards

Tha AOFA (Advanced Open File Agent) is an addon agent for your remote servers to enable BE to backup files that are open or in use on the server. The agents are included on the BE CD but you have to purchase it to get a key to be able to install it.
When installed you get the option in the backup job to use the AOFA. This should then backup any open files.

Try contacting the supplier of your software or any reputable reseller that deals with Veritas.

So in your opinion the solid.db file is only in use and not corrupted as BE says it is?

I cant tell you definitively if your file is corrupt or not. You will have to test this yourself. But as its a DB file there are utils about to check its integrity. The file may be in use constantly by some application that you may not want closed. DB files by their nature are constantly changing and any backup program will have trouble verifying its actual state between backing it up and verifying it - this is where the AOFA comes in handy as it will try to back it up even if it is open, then you should see a different error message, one that says something like solid.db file in use - backed-up. Check the file to see who's using it or who owns it and determine it status. Compare it with a previous backup if you have one that worked with the file.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back