Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

SSAndre

MIS
Jun 21, 2004
US
I am attempting to use the NT backup to backup our server. When I try to Eject a tape or move a tape to the free media pool I get the message "A resource required for this operation has been disabled." Does anyone know what needs to be enabled or has anyone dealt with this issue before? Any ideas or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Hi SSAndre,

I've seen this before where it was disabled in Removal Storage Management. To check:

START
RUN
Type "mmc" without the quotes
Click OK
When the management console opens up, go to the FILE menu
Click on Add/Remove Snapin
Click the Add button on the bottom
Scroll down the list until you see Removal Storage Management
Click ADD
Click FINISH
Click Close
Maximize the window so you can see what you're doing

On the lefthand side under Libraries you should see your tape drive
Left click on it.
Click on PROPERTIES
In the properties sheet that comes up there is a checkbox on the bottom that says "Enable Drive"
That should be checked off. If it's unchecked that may be the cause of your problem.

If so, check it off. Hit OK

When you exit out it will ask you to save settings to console 1?

Click NO

Thank you I will take a look at that. I appreciate your input.

Seth

I think that was all that it was. We used to run NT Backup until we switched to a tape library and run arc serve(which is a lot nicer). When we switched from the NT backup someone must have disabled that tape drive.

Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back