Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

backup hdd image of NT computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

winetech

Technical User
Jan 7, 2008
US
Whats the best software to use to backup an old computer hdd system with NT OS. I don't want to risk damaging the NT OS at all since it has expensive lab software. What are the summarized steps to get this done. I know I would have to buy a hard drive at a computer store.

Also after creating the image what if I need to install the backup hard drive on a different computer. Will the drivers work or what pre-setup options should I do to make sure it works.

I have had good experience with Ghost for cloning harddrives in the past.

It will however be a complete clone of your existing disk (including the HAL), so will cause some problems if you want to move the image to a different (architectural) computer.

In theory you should be able to use sysprep to 'remove' the HAL from the clone, but you will need to confirm that with some of the windows fellas in here, as it might have some potential pitfalls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back