Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup File

Status
Not open for further replies.

leonec

Technical User
Oct 5, 2002
US
I have a backup file that was made a while ago and now I need to restore it. The file is just files of projects no system information or anything like that.

The problem is that when I go to restore I get the folloing error message:

-The Backup file contains unrecognized data and cannot be used.-

So am I screwed? or is there something else that can be done?

Thank you.

What backup software? NT backup? 3rd party? Was it backed up on the same OS you're using now?

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
There are only 10 kinds of people; those who understand binary and those who don't...

The windows 2000 backup utility that comes with the OS.

Also since then I have upgraded to XP. And I already tried bringing the file to a 2000 machine and I got the same error.

I'm sorry, leonec, but i can't find any info on your problem. I assume you can use the tape drive with other tapes? Clean your tape drive a couple times and try reading the tape, and if that doesn't help then I can't suggest anything else.

Luck.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
There are only 10 kinds of people; those who understand binary and those who don't...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back