Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup failure leaving SQL databases in Suspect Mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbeltz

IS-IT--Management
Dec 5, 2007
US
During the weekends, We run full system backups, taking down SQL Server. If one of these backups fail, we are left with Suspect databases on our SQL boxes. It's as though when the backup failed, it (the networker save process) does not let go of the file being backed up at the time of the failure.
for example, this weekend, one box was running a backup. when the backup failed, and we ran the script to start the databases back up, SQL logged the following error message: "D:\MSSQL2000\MSSQL\data\cppd_bor\cppd_bor_idx.ndf was in use by another process" (the networker backup process that just failed).

The only way to resolve the suspect database, that we have found so far, is to reboot the system.

Has anyone else run into this issue, and if so, is there anything you can recommend to resolve this issue?

Hi,

I have never seen that NW uses exclusive locks for the files during backups?! What does networker say about the backup failure? Is the save process still running so you can kill that instead of rebooting?

Save processes in some cases are still running. we kill the save.exe processes, but this does not release the files that were being backed up at the time the process was killed. I haven't yet opened a ticket with networker, though I did a through search in the knowledgebase. Unfortunately, nothing was listed that was applicable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back