Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup Failing

Status
Not open for further replies.

DBAMJA

Programmer
Jul 25, 2003
US
Hoping someone can help. We are having an issue all of a sudden that our backups are failing. We are using SQL Server 2008 R2. Here is a copy of the backup log:

Microsoft(R) Server Maintenance Utility (Unicode) Version 10.50.1600
Report was generated on "RX510001".
Maintenance Plan: SendSuiteLiveBackup
Duration: 00:23:08
Details:
Back Up Database (Full) (RX510001)
Backup Database on Local server connection
Databases: SendSuiteLive
Type: Full
Append existing
Task start: 2014-10-17T02:00:04.
Task end: 2014-10-17T02:23:12.
Failed:(-1073548784) Executing the query "BACKUP DATABASE [SendSuiteLive] TO DISK = N'F:\\\\S..." failed with the following error: "Read on "C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft SQL Server\\MSSQL10_50.MSSQLSERVER\\MSSQL\\DATA\\SendSuiteLive.mdf" failed: 23(Data error (cyclic redundancy check).)
BACKUP DATABASE is terminating abnormally.
10 percent processed.
20 percent processed.
30 percent processed.
40 percent processed.
50 percent processed.
60 percent processed.
70 percent processed.". Possible failure reasons: Problems with the query, "ResultSet" property not set correctly, parameters not set correctly, or connection not established correctly.

Command:EXECUTE master.dbo.xp_create_subdir N''F:\\SendSuiteLive''

GO
BACKUP DATABASE [SendSuiteLive] TO DISK = N''F:\\SendSuiteLive\SendSuiteLive_backup_2014_10_17_020004_1727730.bak'' WITH RETAINDAYS = 5, NOFORMAT, NOINIT, NAME = N''SendSuiteLive_backup_2014_10_17_020004_1571727'', SKIP, REWIND, NOUNLOAD, STATS = 10

GO

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

[flush]

DBAMJA

It is said that God will give you no more than you can handle. I just wish God didn't have so much faith in me.

It's possible that you have a corrupted database. What happens when you run this query?

Code:
DBCC CHECKDB

-George
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
My Blogs
SQLCop
twitter
"The great things about standards is that there are so many to choose from." - Fortune Cookie Wisdom

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. I had to run the check over the weekend when no one was using it. Here is what came out of the application log:

DBCC CHECKDB (SendSuiteLive) executed by NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM found 4204 errors and repaired 0 errors. Elapsed time: 0 hours 30 minutes 49 seconds. Internal database snapshot has split point LSN = 00004ab1:00003227:0001 and first LSN = 000048f1:00000019:0001. This is an informational message only. No user action is required.

There were also several errors just before this in the application log that looked like this:

Unable to read and latch page (1:5005546) with latch type SH. 23(Data error (cyclic redundancy check).) failed.​

Thanks for your assistance.

[flush]

DBAMJA

It is said that God will give you no more than you can handle. I just wish God didn't have so much faith in me.

Clearly you have some corruption in your database. You should make this your first priority by researching the error messages you are getting and deciding on the best course of action.

-George
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
My Blogs
SQLCop
twitter
"The great things about standards is that there are so many to choose from." - Fortune Cookie Wisdom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back