Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup exec will not startup

Status
Not open for further replies.

werds

IS-IT--Management
Apr 30, 2001
GB
I am currently running backup exec v.4.5 on windows 98. I am trying to do a restore but the backup software will not even start up, in task manager it says the program is not responding and rebooting the system does not make any difference. Is there any way aroud the problem apart from re-installing the software.

Before re-installing, check the services are all running. If they are, stop and re-start them, if they are not, start them.

Just to check, you did give BE it's own account to use rather than use the administrator account? If not, has the password been changed recently?

The admin account has been used even before I arrived at the company a year ago and there have been no problems with backup exec using that account.

Since you're on Win98 there should not be any security to get in your way. (You just have to be logged in, and possibly confirm that there's no restrictions configured for your account)

A reinstall shouldn't be too difficult. All you need is the serial number. I *think* that if you do a reinstall over the top of your existing installation the serial number will be detected. You could also install a trial version, or use another PC to perform your restore.

It sounds like the ever so common "unstable Win9x" problem. Since your computer is still booting, I assume you want to do a restore because some other app is broken in addition to BE? I would start by removing recently installed programs that might have caused the problem or made it worse. Then make a few visits to windowsupdate.microsoft.com and patch all your OS related software. This will often make a Win9x stable enough to get by a few more weeks.

If you have access to one, a help-desk technician would be a big help here.

I have had to re-install BE and recreate the backup jobs as it would not install over the top of the existing verson of BE. But anyway I managed to restore the files and everything is A okay. Thanks for all your help

I've used Backup Exec Desktop Pro successfully for a couple of years to back up 3 or 4 networked (Windows Peer-to-Peer) Windows 98 and ME machines to an 80-GB hard drive. All of a sudden it will no longer execute - at all. No response to clicks on the executable file. I re-executed the zipped file I originally downloaded, which changed nothing. Veritas danced around the issue for a few weeks (several emails), and then emailed me that they were no longer supporting Backup Exec for Windows 98 platforms.

I have installed Veritas BackUp Exec Version 8.6, but I can't stablish connection with the server.
When I check the services, its JobEngine is STARTING but never starts.

Please, I'm waiting for your answer as soon as possible !

Sincearly yours,

Alexandre

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back