Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup Exec Version 9.1 Can't backup my Dell Server!! :( 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

matrixx

MIS
Oct 22, 2002
US
I have come to the conclusion that the new Backup Exec 9.1 app sucks. I can't recognize any tapes in Backup Exec on a new Dell server with a DLT VS160 drive. I called Dell support and there advice was to disable the removeable storage service delete any entries in removeable storage and restart the Backup Exec service. Of course this didn't work.

Everytime I try and inventroy the drive in Backup Exec it runs endlessly to no avail. I can use the backup to disk option and it works no problem. But as soon as I select the backup drive in BExec it can't see the tapes! Can anyone help out I never had to disable removable storage for other backup applications to work does anyone have any sugestions I would really appreciate it.

Take a look in you system log, are there any error like event id 7,9,11.
Yes, stop and disable RSM service.
Is the device terminalted properly - contact Dell and have them confirm this for you.
Go into backup exec and delete the tape device out of backup exec. You may have to right click on the tape device and goto properties - configuration - take the check mark out out of enable this device for backup exec. Then you should be able to delete the library /tape drive.

Download and install the latest driver -

Run c:\program files\veritas\backup exec\nt\tapeinst.exe
Install the veritas drivers
when prompted to reboot, power down the server and tape device if external.
Power up the server and see what you get

Thanks for the help steveot. Unfortunatelly that didn't work for me. I have a Dell PowerEdge 2600 Windows 2003 server with Veritas Backup Exec Version 9.1. I have the agent for SQL loaded and the open file agent. I followed your steps but the device did show back up after I deleted it but still will not detect the media in the drive. The tape drive is a Quantum VS160 DLT tape drive.

The server has all service pack updates and has SQL (Service Pack 3) installed. When I do a backup to disk through Veritas the backups work but if I try to inventory the DLT drive the inventory just runs forever untill I cancel it.

I had gotten in touch with a Dell tech and we went through a series of steps to verify that the OS could communicate with the drive but I still cannot get the DLT tape drive to detect any media. If you have any other suggestions I really do appreciate the help.

I am assuming Dell Walked you thru using NT Backup? If they didnt then they havent proved anything.

There are two ways to load tapes into the library.
1 - Open the door and manually place the tapes into the slots
2 - Right click on a slot (in BE, Devices tab), select IMPORT and insert the tape into the 'mailbox' for the library to move the tape to the slot.

Which of those did you use? If #1, manually insert the tapes; then remove all the tapes and use method 2. I find that if I manually insert my tapes into my DELL 136T, BE doesn't recognize them as being in the library.

-SQLBill

Thanks SQLBill but I don't have an auto loader. I just have a single DLT VS1 tape drive. I do appreciate you trying to help me out.

Works the same way....I had a single drive also and had to use the IMPORT/EXPORT feature.

But in the case of the single drive, I believe you find the IMPORT command by right clicking on the drive in the Devices tab.

-SQLBill

Don't know if this will apply to you or not, but with my Seagate LTOI drives in my StorageTek tape library, I need to make sure that the 'write single block mode' and 'write SCSI pass-through mode' checkboxes are unchecked. By default, they are selected with the Veritas provided drivers.

From the Devices in Backup Exec, if you right click on the tape drive, click properties, click on configuration, you'll see the options.

Hope this helps.

The issue that I had was that I had to uninstall BackupExec 9.1, reboot the server. For the tape drive and library, i had to make sure I was using the MICROSOFT drivers, not the veritas drivers, and again rebooted. I then was able to stop the RSM. Installed BE 9.1 and use the OEM DRIVERS, now all is well. it works just fine. Its on a DELL PV725 NAS. Something is flaky with BE & trying to take control of the storage with its AADAM(or however you spell it). If you use the microsoft tape/library drivers, and just install the BE software, all is well.

We had a DELL Server that we wanted to attach an external SDLT tape drive to and could not get it configured where the SCSI would work with the SDLT drive. Finally Compaq sent a tech out who had a lot of trouble, but finally decided that the SCSI card we selected from the SDLT list was not a good one for it and he installed one to test that did work and then we purchased a simular SCSI card. Then when we would take a SDLT tape backup from the domain server and try to recover to this other DELL server we couldn't see it and finally found that we had to go to <DEVICES> tab in BE and right-click on that device and select <INVENTORY> and after that ran, then select <CATALOG>. Doing both of these made the tape show up and what was on them readable, so a recovery to the DELL could happen.

Matrixx? did you ever get this up and running, I'm having the same issue on two servers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back