Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup Exec unable to attach to snap server

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 3, 2002
US
I have snap servers I need to back up to the network. I've had success most of the time. Then there are times where it fails and the error reads can not attach to server. I was wondering if anyone could help.

We had exactly the same problem with Quantum Snap servers. Sometimes, if you make a change to the snap server, such as adding a new share, machines & users are then unable to connect & receive an access denied message. I find the problem has always been solved by rebooting the machine from which you are unable to connect (This also solved the backup problem).

1st things first, ensure your Snaps are using the latest s/w I'm using version 3.4.790 and have had no probs, other than slowness because I can't load a Veritas Agent on to them.

A workaround is to have a bucket load of space on a server and use robocopy (see NT reskit) to copy (with a /mir switch) from a specific share on the snap, to a specific folder/share on the server. Load the agent on this server and back it up to tape.

That way you have an instant retrieval (from the server copy) in case on of the users 'accidentally' deletes something, and an offsite copy on your tape!

I think I remember having the same problem and resolved it by adding the snap servers IP addresses in the user defined selections.

Hope this helps,
Dave.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back