Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BACKUP EXEC SOFTWARE THINKS THAT OUR NEW "DLT DRV NEEDS TO BE CLEANED"

Status
Not open for further replies.

dadau

Technical User
Aug 10, 2001
US
The tape drive on our 2 year old Compaq Proliant server kept getting the following
warning in Backup Exec before it errors:

"Device HA:0 ID:6 LUN:0 COMPAQ 35/70GB DLT DRV needs to be cleaned. Please clean the device and retry the operation."

Had Compaq tech run diagnostice on the server and tech said it was tape drive.
Had Compaq install new DLT tape drive.

New tape drive getting same error. Anyone had this problem before?

SERVER = COMPAQ PROLIANT
OS = NETWARE 5.0
BACKUP EXEC = 8.0
TAPE DRIVE = DLT DRV

I always go into device tab, pause the tape drive. put cleaning tape in and when it cleans the drive, the tape will unload. Then I right click on the device, the pull down menu will appear, I click on properties. In that window will be a tab that says cleaning. You can go to that screen, and click on reset cleaning statistics. It will set them back to 0 and then close that out, unpause the tape drive, by clicking on the device, and going down to the pause (that will have a check mark by it ) and click on it again to clear the pause state. maybe that will help you. the device status timer is then reset. The key is to pause the drive first. and then remember to unpause it, or the jobs will not run.
Let me know if this helps
blonde

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back