Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup Exec setup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinkpanther56

Technical User
Jun 15, 2005
GB
Hi all

We are about to install Symantec Backup Exec on 3 Windows 2003 servers one server will have a remote agent.

I notice that the install instructions suggest having a domain user account that is a member of domain admins to run the service under.

Is this a good idea? If not how do the BE experts configure their backup services. A domain account that is a member of backup operators?

Thank you for any input and suggestions.

Also is SQL server Express a must i don't really want to run that on a DC or at all if possible.

It is possible (don't do it) for it to work without it being in a domain, but it is highly recommended that you configure it in a domain. I would just create a domain admin account.

Backup Exec 11d comes with SQL Express as a default database. It also works with SQL 2k and SQL 2k5 (Enterprise and Standard edition).

Ok so you suggest using a domain admin account rather than a domain user account that is a member of the backup operators group?

Thanks.

That is up to you. It isn't necessary. I have always used a domain admin without any issues.

Ok we have bought SQL server 2000 as we will be using it for another app so i've bought a couple of clients for BE to use. I'm going to use a domain user account that's a member of backup operators.

Anyone see an issue with that?

The reason i'm concerned about this is the amount of issues that i saw while we were using ARCServ, the agents seemed to suffer many remotly exploitable flaws that would allow administrator level access if exploited.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back