Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup Exec Services won't start

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Technical User
Jan 22, 2001
GB
Have 2 NT4 servers running Veritas Backup Exec 7.X. Came in today to both could not connect to their local Backup Server (themselves). Went to Control Panel -> Services -> All BE Services which were set to Automatic are not running. On trying to start them manually eventually got a Error 1068 - the dependacy service or group failed to start.
I tried changing the password for the BE server startup service. No joy. Withing BE, keep getting - Physical Volume Library Database - connection has been lost. Can anyone please help!

Hi

ensure both you Workstation service and Server service have been started before attmetping to start the BE services.

Jon

Check the username settings for BE services in case they are trying to start using old username or password details.

Create separate administrative account such as "backup". Login with this account.
Change all passwords on all BE related services to this account and password.
Start the services. Always use this separate account for working with BE.

Could not connect to local Backup Server (BattleCreek). Went to Control Panel -> Services - All BE Services which were set to Automatic were running.
Withing BE, keep getting - Physical Volume Library Database - connection has been lost. Could not log on.

The last successful log on was last Friday.

Solution:

Stopped all Backup Exec Services. Restarted. Logged on successfully.

Cause:

I believe that NAV and Backup Exec services somehow “collided” thus causing Backup Exec to stall.

Try to reapply your SP and MDAC. This, I found, solves a lot of issues when services are not starting.

Tilo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back