Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup Exec Services login problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDust

Programmer
Aug 12, 2002
US
I'm using Veritas Backup Exec and we are unable to connect to our media drive at all. The service refuses to start. I look in Event Viewer and see:

Code:
Logon attempt with current password failed with the following error: 
Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.

then

Code:
The Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Servers service failed to start due to the following error: 
The service did not start due to a logon failure.

then

Code:
The Backup Exec Job Engine service depends on the Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Servers service which failed to start because of the following error: 
The service did not start due to a logon failure.

This is really strange because we've been running successful backups for some time now. Once in a while we would get this error, but a server restart would solve the problem. Now it seems we are locked out. To make matters worse, our tape drive (a Quantum SDLT 320) refuses to eject the tape that is inside of it.

Does this sound like a faulty drive or a misconfiguration issue?

My BK services were NOT set to "Local System Account". I went ahead and remedied that... then the job went ahead as usual, but it didn't recognize the media in the drive (a brand new tape). It asks me to remove the media and insert overwritable media (yes, I've checked that the tape's read only tab is not active), and the drive WON'T EJECT. Short of restarting the server, I've tried everything and the drive doesn't do anything when I press the EJECT button. Does this mean it is definately a bad drive?

Does the drive show up in the scsi bios page as the server starts?
Does the drive show up in the Windows device manager?
If so then...

Sounds like there might be something wrong with the tape leader within the drive, which would require you to remove the drive from the slot or enclosure and re-attach or replace it. Once the drive is out, on the right hand side, as you are facing the drive, I believe there should be a switch mechanism, which if carefully manipulated should release the tape.

Chernobyl disaster..a must see pictorial

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back