Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup Exec reports "Unknown Media" in the StorageTek library L20

Status
Not open for further replies.

igortr1

Technical User
Jan 13, 2004
US
We use right media,but when you run inventory it failing with " Unknown Media" error. When you go to devices you can see tapes ther but for Media Description I see "Uknown Media"
We use BackupExec 9.1 and StorageTek L20 library.
Please HELP!
Thanks

Select the 'slot' and do an INVENTORY. (Right click on the slot and select Inventory from the list).

-SQLBill

Posting advice: FAQ481-4875

SQLBill,
I tryed, but it did not work

How did you load the tapes into the library?

Did you just open the door and 'stick' them all in?

Or did you go to the DEVICE tab, right click on the slot and select IMPORT? Then put the tape into the 'mailbox' of the library (usually a smaller door) and let BE move the tape from the mailbox to the proper slot?

The second way is how you should have done it.

Lastly, did you put barcode labels on the tapes?

-SQLBill

I just open the door and 'stick' them all in then ran inventory. We don't usualy use smaller door during the tape rotation on our working libraries ( we have 4 more in different locations).

Sometimes the method you use works, sometimes it doesn't. That's the chance you take.

The PROPER way, is to right click on the slot, select Import, then when it unlocks the 'mailbox' (that's the small door) you put the tape in there and BE will move it to the proper slot. Then you inventory it.

Right now, BE is probably saying: There's a tape in this slot. I have no idea where it came from or how it got here. So I'm calling it "Unknown Media".

I suggest taking the tapes out and properly importing them.

-SQLBill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back