Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup Exec - Reading backup tapes created on another backup server 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColdArm

IS-IT--Management
Apr 16, 2004
GB
Can anyone help. I currently have a Win2K box running Veritas Backup Exec 9.0. We are about to embark on an infrastructure reshuffle which will incorporate moving our backup software from our designated backup server over to our file server (the thinking behind that being that backing up the local machine will be quicker than backing up over the network). My question is this; in the event that we need to restore from a backup created on the old backup setup, what must I do to ensure that I can do this on the new system? I guess the same can be asked of (re)using backup tapes that were originally created on the old backup setup, on the new [proposed] setup???? I was told that catalogging a tape on the old setup and then using the same tape to catalog on the new system is all that's required. Any truth in that?
FYI, we have 1 x Quantum DLT IV Valuloader and 1 x HP Surestore DLT IV drive. I'm also planning to upgrade to Veritas Backup Exec 9.1 - anything to be aware of??

Thx

ColdArm

All you need to do is inventory, then catalog the tapes your need to restore from.

Then the restore selections will be available from those tapes.

Thanks justin2000,

So, does that mean that if I wanted the option of restoring from any or all of my current tapes, I'd need to inventory and catalog ALL of my tapes?

ColdArm

No you just need to inventory and catalog the ones you need for a restore - no use in doing all of them, if you dont need them.

Wow! Can't believe it was 2 1/2 months since I last looked at this problem! Anyway guys, I catalogged a tape in my existing backup drive, set up a test server, connected a DLT drive to it, installed Backup Exec 9.0, gone through all the configuration wizards and stuff, put the DLT tape in, inventoried the drive and the drive recognised it... the only problem is that I've gone to the Restore option and it cannot see any sessions on the tape and therefore I cannot 'currently' restore anything. Have I missed anything?????

You still need to catalog the tape(s) on the new server... That's the only way to get the info to appear in the Restore selections....

You're absolutely right mate - kinda clocked it yesterday, but in my euphoria I forgot to notify my Tek-Tips brethren of my good news!

Thanks guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back