Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup Exec or ArcServe or ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

mosta

MIS
Nov 12, 2002
US
Can anyone recommend a good third party backup software solution that end users can use to backup a SQL database that provides clear, concise, detailed reporting without requiring access to the admin account nor the server console (e.g., Backup Exec, ArcServe, or ???)

Thanks!

Normally, backup/restore operations are handled by database or system administrators. Allowing users to backup databases could be very costly - consuming too much disk space, overwriting files, etc. We simply won't allow that in our environment.

That said, you can assign users to the db_backupoperator role in a database. This will allow the user to backup the database using SQL Backup.

I'm not familiar enough with the various backup agents available to recommend one or to even know if users can be setup to use the backup agents. I suppose anyone could be enabled to use the software. As for reporting, again I must plead ignorance though I assume the reporting would be better than the brief messages provided by SQL Backup. Terry L. Broadbent - DBA
SQL Server Page:
If you want to get the best answer for your question read faq183-874.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back