Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup Exec Multi-Server Edition and Sun (UFS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

strausy

MIS
Jun 7, 1999
US
Visit site
According to Veritas's site, it has &quot;Enterprise wide data protection&quot; even on Unix and Linux file systems. Now, aside from whatever that means (because they won't answer my questions) how can they do that and NOT be able to back up a Unix server?<br>
<br>
Because of their lack of response, I'm probably going to go with someone else if I can find a product that will back up NT, Linux and Unix. Now of any?

I am currently working on several backup applications and several platforms. NT, Novell 5, Unix(SCO, OPEN server) Solaris 7, Linux 5.2. We are testing various backup software with various platforms. Now for the hard part, What kind of drive are you backing up to, What is the Backup server and the obvious, is it configured to allow a backup with the various permission levels set. This is all I can think of at the moment. I am using Veritas 7.3 for all my O/S's and it is working for me. I hope I can help.

We are currently backing up our NT to a DAT drive. We have two Sun Solaris boxes also with Sun DAT drives on them and a Digital Unix machine, also with DAT. We are also looking into a 6 tape DAT (don't know specifics) that is SCSI so it could hook up to any of them. The backup server will be NT, permission are set across my PDC, not my Unix servers (or Linux for that matter). <br>
<br>
Veritas finally did answer my question, 2 weeks later, and it does look like we will be using Backup Exec.<br>
<br>

Well sorry I couldn't be of more help, but I am glad it worked out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back