Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup-Exec monitoring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Padraigh

IS-IT--Management
Nov 5, 2002
GB
Hi,

we run Backup-exec 8 and 8.6 in over 100 sites. How do we monitor the success of these jobs without using execview ? I was looking to use a SNMP monitoring device.

any pointers would be great

I believe HP OpenView is one application that can receive the sucessful traps from Backup Exec 8.6.
Backup Exec comes with an MIB plugin for such applications.

Contact Veritas support and talk to them about running the NSE Console on one of your media servers. You should be able to see all your servers and jobs if the licensing is installed correctly.

Stan

Shorowitz has a great idea.
Running the NSE Console would improve your administration greatly for your remote sites. We have had great success with NSE. It makes centralized management of multiple media servers and devices a breeze. Installation and setup is easy, and unlike Veritas's Netbackup product, you can learn to use in about an hour. And its MSSQL database is wide open to extract all kinds of statistical information about your environment. And if you’re not SQL savvy, the additional 30 canned reports should present an array of useful information.

We have ours setup to manage 2O remote media servers and 80 tape devices, and have about 6000 jobs scheduled. We have heard through the grapevine, that one master can handle in excess of 15000 jobs.

If you're looking for easy to use centralized backup solution for your 8.0, 8.5 and 8.6 BE enviroments then I would recommend checking NSE out.

M

You can configure backup exec to email whether a job has been successful or failed. Maybe this is another option for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back